Information & Assistance (I&A)

As a member of the National Association of State Units on Aging and the Alliance of Information and Referral Systems, the First TN Area Agency on Aging and Disability has established an Information and Assistance program to connect people to health and human service needs as well as provide information of a more general nature.  Certified Information and Assistance Specialists can determine through our resource database if there are resources, services or programs to help callers get the assistance they need.  They are also trained to determine eligibility for FTAAAD in- home services as well as many other programs in the area. Callers may contact the I & A line by calling 1-866-836-6678 or the direct number 423-928-3258.  Referrals for in-home services may also be sent in by completing the HCBS FTAAAD referral form and fax the information in to the I & A office.

I & A is also provided by the local Options offices:
Carter County 423-543-4256
Greene County 423-639-7133
Hancock County 423-272-7835
Hawkins County 423-272-7835
Johnson County 423-727-4822
Sullivan County – Bristol 423-764-1818
Sullivan County – Kingsport 423-722-5112
Unicoi County 423-753-1081
Washington County – Johnson City 423-975-2744
Washington County – Jonesborough 423-753-1081

Public Guardianship

The Public Guardianship for the Elderly Program, a state funded program, is designed to aid persons 60 years of age and older who are unable to manage their own affairs, and who have no family member, friend, bank or other agency willing and able to act on their behalf. The District Public Guardian is on the staff of the FTAAA&D. Call 423-722-5104.

Long-term Care Ombudsman

The Long-Term Care Ombudsman serves as an advocate for elderly residents of nursing homes and residential care facilities. The ombudsman’s responsibility is to help resolve complaints against facilities and to ensure that clients’ rights and benefits are protected. Call 1-800-821-1312.

Legal Services

Legal advice and representation to help people age 60 and over to secure and maintain public benefits, to resolve consumer problems and other situations requiring the intervention of an attorney. Call 423-928-8311.

Case Management/Service Coordination

The FTAAA&D recognizes that many older people want to remain in their homes as long as possible, but may need help with basic household tasks. Some may also have other needs which will help prevent or delay premature institutionalization. Options workers will make home visits to the frail elderly, assess the individual’s needs, develop a plan of care which will enable that person to remain at home, order services, follow up to assure services have been received, and conduct six month reassessments to determine continued need. This service is available throughout the eight county area. Call 1-866-836-6678 or 423-928-3258.

Family Caregiver Support Program

The Family Caregiver Support Program will provide support to family caregivers of any age providing care for an older family member.  Services that can be provided include: information about the availability of support services, assistance in gaining access to services, individual counseling to help make decisions and solve problems, in-home respite care, and supplemental services, such as home delivered meals, personal care, homemaker services, and minor home modifications.

 Nutrition Program

Congregate Meals are offered at noon, five days a week, at each of the 17 meal sites within the eight county area. Each meal provides 1/3 of the Required Dietary Allowance and, although no one is denied a meal for inability to pay, contributions are encouraged. The congregate meals program also provides an opportunity for socialization. Call the senior center in your area for site locations.
Home Delivered Meals which provide 1/3 of the Required Dietary Allowance are delivered five days a week by volunteers to the frail elderly who have been assessed by Options. Discharge Planners from hospitals and nursing homes may order temporary meals for one month for frail discharges, without going through the assessment process. Frozen weekend meals are available on a limited basis. As in the congregate meals program, no one is denied a meal for inability to pay. However, if there are waiting lists, individuals or families may sponsor their meals for a fee, until a slot becomes available. Call your county Options office.

Homemaker/Personal Care

Trained homemakers will help the homebound elderly with routine housecleaning, laundry and meal preparation. Volunteers are sought for grocery shopping and errands. Homemakers who have received additional training are available to assist with bathing and shampoos. Contributions are encouraged. Call your county Options office.

Minor Home Repair Modifications

Repairing a broken step, replacing door or window screens, building a wheel chair ramp are examples of the kinds of minor repairs done which enable a frail elderly person to remain at home. Call your county Options office.


Transportation is available by calling a senior center twenty-four hours in advance. A nominal fee is charged for trips from home to the senior center and for intermediate stops at grocery stores, drug stores, etc.